Bay Leaf, commonly known as “Tejpatta” in India, is an aromatic leaf from the evergreen bay laurel tree.
The Indian bay leaf is basically a three veined leaf is elliptical, pointed, smooth and tough. these leaves are pungent and have a sharp, bitter flavor. their taste and fragrance are somewhat similar to the cinnamon bark but slightly milder. It is most widely used is cooking and preparing perfumes. They are used in fresh and dried or powdered form. The oil extracted from the bay leaves, called bay leaf oil has medicinal properties and is used to treat several ailments. The freshly dried bay leaves have a warm aroma, which is infused with cooking. The leaf is crushed before being used. The leaf is used for flavoring stews, dishes that need a long time to cook and soups. However, it is removed from the dish before cooking.
Health benefits of Bay leaf:
1. Medicinally, the leaves have been used to treat problems associated with the liver, stomach, and kidney.
2. They were also used for treating bee and wasp stings.
3. Coughs and colds
4. Aches and Pains
8. Bayleaf is effective in eliminating bugs from the kitchen and repelling cockroaches.
9. Bay leaves yield an essential oil that is used in cooking and in the treatment of various ailments.
10. The essential oil that is obtained from the fruit is used in making soap.